— Current Affairs : 11 Aug 2016 —
Daily | Current Affair Updates | 7-Minute-Read | By-Raksha | PDF Version
A complete dose of current affairs for the whole day. Categories listed are given as below:
- Important Days
- Books & Authors
- Business & Economy
- Appointments and Resigns
- Awards & Honours
- Science & Technology
— NATIONAL —
– MSAI and Nirbhaya Jyoti Trust launch ‘I Feel Safe’ safety app for women
- Mobile Standards Alliance of India (MSAI) and the Nirbhaya Jyoti Trust launched a mobile app aimed at ensuring personal safety during times of distress.
- The app – called I Feel Safe Safety Ka Power Button – has a virtual panic button which users can simply press to activate the alarm.
- It can be used even when the screen is locked, the SIM card is removed, no Wi-Fi networks are available, and the absence of a data plan.
- The app works across the country on all mobile networks and sends real-time updates about the location of the user.
– CCTNS to be operationalised by March 31 next year: Govt.
- The ambitious Crime and Criminal Tracking Networks and System (CCTNS) project will be operationalised by 31st of March next year.
- The project aims to connect all police stations in the country with the objective of tracking crime and criminals related data on real time.
- Minister of State for Home Hansraj Ahir said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha that so far 12,665 Police Stations and around five thousand higher offices have been integrated to the system.
- CCTNS project will digitise data related to FIR registration, investigation and charge sheets in all police stations.
– Cabinet approves Agreement between the India and Croatia on Economic Cooperation
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing and ratification of an Agreement between India and Croatia on Economic Cooperation.
- India and Croatia had earlier signed an Agreement on trade and economic cooperation in September, 1994 with an aim to promote and develop bilateral trade and economic relations.
- Signing of the new Agreement between India and Croatia would be a step in continuity as the existing Agreement expired in November, 2009.
- India’s bilateral trade with Croatia during 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 were US$ 152.01million, US$ 148.86 million and US$ 205.04 million respectively. The average bilateral trade growth was 17.44% during the last three years.
– Cabinet approves amendment to Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved amendments to Section 44 and consequential amendments of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 by introducing the Lokpal and Lokayuktas (Amendment) Bill, 2016 in Parliament.
- The approved amendments will address concerns and apprehensions expressed by different categories of public servants and addresses the difficulties being faced in implementing the provision of section 44 of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013. The amendments are in line with one of the recommendations of the Standing Committee.
- The Cabinet also okayed amendments to the Maternity Benefit Act, 1961 by introducing the Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill, 2016 in Parliament.
– First Indian channel on skill development launches in Pune
- Millionlights, an education content provider Company has launched the first and only Indian TV Channel focused on higher education and skill development in partnership with DEN Manoranjan Satellite in Pune.
- Millionlights aims to create a landscape of content, delivery platforms and certifications leading to higher employability.
- The company already runs a website, which provides certification courses.
- Partners of the initiative include universities, teachers, technology companies, and certification companies. For the TV channel initiative, the company has Microsoft as a partner.
- Microsoft provides course segments from its existing library, which the team at Millionlightscustomises for the Indian audiences.
– Bihar agrees to implement PradhanMantriFasalBimaYojana
- After a slugfest over naming of the Centre’s crop insurance policy, the Bihar government today agreed to implement the PradhanMantriFasalBimaYojana on an experimental basis in the kharif season.
- The state government has decided to implement the PradhanMantriFasalBimaYojana (PMFBY) in the state keeping in mind the sentiments of cooperative federalism.
- “The crop insurance scheme will be implemented in its present form for the kharif season on an experimental basis,” Bihar’s Cooperative Minister Alok Kumar Mehta told reporters here.
– Madhya Pradesh and Puducherry join UDAY power discoms reforms
- Madhya Pradesh has become the 16th state to join the centrally sponsored plan UjwalDiscoms Reforms for power distribution (UDAY). Puducherry also joined and became the first union territory to join UDAY.
- The annual saving in the interest cost to the MP discoms would be around Rs 2,215 crore on account of restructuring of the discom debt.
- The amount of debt being taken over by the state is Rs 26,055 crore, which is 75% of the total discoms’ debt of Rs 34,739 crore outstanding as on 30.09.2015.
- The scheme also provides for the balance debt of Rs 8,684 crore to be re-priced or issued as state guaranteed discom bonds, at coupon rates around 3 per cent less than the average existing interest rate.
– Jaitley to launch data bank to gather information about MSMEs
- Union Finance Minister ArunJaitley will on Thursday launch a data bank to gather information about micro, small and medium enterprises.
- MSME Secretary K.K. Jalan has said that a census of MSMEs online will be for the first time carried out through the data bank, adding this will help save money as the previous census conducted in 2008 cost Rs. 50 crore, whereas this one is expected to be completed in just Rs. one crore.
– Government notifies national ‘Early Childhood Care and Education’ policy.
- Government has notified the national ‘Early Childhood Care and Education’ policy.Its aims is to achieve holistic development of children below six years of age. This was informed by Minister of State for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in the LokSabha yesterday.
- He was replying to a query about the Centre’s reaction to a UNICEF Survey that indicated 34 per cent of Muslim and 25 per cent of Christian children below six years do not attend pre-school.
- MrNaqvi said, the government has reaffirmed its commitment to promote early childhood care and education by formulating and notifying National Early Childhood Care and Education policy.
— INTERNATIONAL —
– India, US push for $30 mn energy storage research initiative
- India and the US have agreed on a $30 million public-private five-year research initiative for a joint research on smart grid and energy storage technology.
- “Smart grid and storage technology will transform how we produce and consume electricity, which has the potential to decrease carbon pollution by scaling up renewable energy deployment,” US Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz said.
- Under the US-India Partnership to Advance Clean Energy Research (PACE-R), the US Energy Department (DOE) and the Indian Ministry of Science and Technology (MST) will each commit $1.5 million per year for five years to the expanded research effort, subject to congressional appropriations.
- The US and Indian private sectors will match the respective government commitments, resulting in a combined $30 million public-private research investment over the next five years, a statement said.
– Libya pro government forces capture Islamic State headquarters in Sirte.
- In Libya, pro-government forces claim they captured the Islamic State group’s headquarters in their main stronghold of Sirte yesterday.
- A spokesman for forces loyal to Libya’s UN-backed government said the Ouagadougou convention centre is in their hands.
- The forces said IS fighters still held positions in three residential areas of Sirte and in a villa complex near the seafront. But capturing the centre had been a key aim of the offensive against IS in the past few weeks.
— BANKING —
– Syndicate Bank launches Project Ananya aimed at digital banking
- Syndicate Bank has embarked on a large scale transformation program called “Project Ananya” that focuses on improved customer service and offering latest in digital banking services.
- The bank plans to transform 10 per cent of its branches to the new format in the next 6-12 months, it said in a statement. The first Ananya branch was opened by MD and CEO ArunSrivastava.
- A completely operational account is available in less than 1 day with no additional visits to the branch and making this one of the fastest account opening processes in the industry.
— BUSINESS AND ECONOMY —
– Tata Chemicals sells urea business to YaraFertilisers
- Tata Chemicals has entered into an agreement with Norwegian company Yara International ASA to sell its Babrala urea plant and distribution business in Uttar Pradesh for $400 million (Rs.2,670crore).
- The company was trying to exit this business for nearly two years due to delayed payment of subsidies. The proceeds will be invested in other growing businesses of the company its Managing Director R. Mukundan said.
- This is the first time that Yara is investing money in an asset in India though it has been operating in India through its Indian subsidiary since 2011. It sold specialisedfertiliser worth Rs.180 crore in Maharashtra and South Indian markets last year.
— APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGN—
– Google Ventures CEO Bill Maris quits: Recode
- Bill Maris, the chief executive and founder of Alphabet Inc’s venture capital arm GV, is leaving the company, Recode reported, citing sources.
- Maris, who leaves on Friday, will be replaced by GV managing partner David Krane, Recode said.
- A GV spokeswoman declined to comment on the report.
- GV, previously known as Google Ventures, was founded in 2009 and has invested in more than 300 companies including Uber Technologies Inc [UBER.UL] and online retailer Jet.com, according to GV’s website.
- Alphabet’s projects have seen some high-profile departures in recent months. Chris Urmson, chief technical officer for its self-driving car project, left last week, while Anthony Levandowski, product manager for the program, left earlier this year to co-found a startup.
– ITC’s Savlon engages SainaNehwal as its brand ambassador
- ITC’s leading health & hygiene brand, Savlon is proud to announce SainaNehwal, ace shuttler as its brand ambassador.
- In its new campaign with Saina, Savlon seeks to inspire parents to let go of their fears and encourage children to push their limits and maximize their potential to succeed in life.
- Savlon antiseptic has a heritage of more than 50 years in India and enjoys great equity. It is trusted by 90% doctors and offers 8 times better germ protection*. Its unique formulation is recognized by experts for its powerful action against a broad spectrum of germs.
— AWARDS AND HONOURS —
– AzimPremji, Shiv Nadar in ‘Forbes’ list of 100 richest tech tycoons
- Wipro Chairman AzimPremji and HCL co-founder Shiv Nadar are the only two billionaires from India in Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 richest people in technology, ranking in the top 20 ahead of Google boss Eric Schmidt and Uber CEO Travis Kalanick.
- The ‘100 Richest Tech Billionaires In The World 2016’ list has been topped by Microsoft founder Bill Gates with an estimated fortune of $78 billion.
- Mr. Premji ranks 13th on the list with a networth of $16 billion and Mr. Nadar comes in on the 17th spot with $11.6 billion of net worth.
- Two Indian-American technology czars Symphony Technology Group CEO RomeshWadhwani and founders of IT consulting and outsourcing company Syntel Bharat Desai and his wife NeerjaSethi are also on the list.
— SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY —
– Accenture, LinkedIn to organise ‘Hackfest 2016’
- Accenture and LinkedIn are jointly organising “HackFest 2016”, a platform for students to solve real-world business and human challenges through innovative (original and new) ideas.
- The non-stop, 20-hour challenge will be held in Bengaluru on September 24-25.
- All final and pre-final-year students across graduation and post-graduation courses in the country are eligible to participate.
- Each member of the winning team will receive new products from Apple, Bose and Motorola worth Rs 200,000.
— SPORTS —
– SaniaMirza-Martina Hingis split due to poor results
- SaniaMirza and Martina Hingis today maintained that the decision to end their astonishing partnership was due to the failure to achieve the “desired results” and added they would play together one last time in the season-ending WTA Finals in October.
- In an unexpected development, Sania and Hingis decided to end their partnership that took the tennis world by storm last year when they won nine titles including the year-end WTA championship.
– Rio 2016: Archers DeepikaKumari, Bombayla Devi & boxer Manoj Kumar enter pre quarterfinals; Shooters disappoint again
- On the fifth day of Rio Olympics, Indian archers and pugilist brought some happiness to the camp on a rather disappointing day.
- In Archery, India’s Bombayla Devi and DeepikaKumari both have advanced to the pre quarterfinals or the Round of 16 in Women’s Singles re-curve event.
- In weightlifting India’s Sathish Kumar Sivalingam has been knocked out of the Men’s 77kg category.
- Sathish did not start off well but did bounce back. However, after early jitters he finished fourth and failed to advance in medal round.
Current Affairs Update
To Get PDF Version
— Click Here —