— Current Affairs 22 Aug 2016 —
Daily | Current Affair Updates | 7-Minute-Read | By-Raksha | PDF Version
A complete dose of current affairs for the whole day. Categories listed are given as below:
- Important Days
- Books & Authors
- Business & Economy
- Appointments and Resigns
- Awards & Honours
- Science & Technology
— NATIONAL —
– Himachal Pradesh assembly ratifies GST Bill
- The Himachal Pradesh assembly today unanimously ratified the constitution amendment bill on Goods and Services Tax (GST), passed by the Parliament this month.
- The bill was introduced by Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on the first day of five-day monsoon session that began in Shimla today afternoon.
- It was ratified by the assembly without any discussion and with thumping of benches, both by the treasury and the opposition BJP.
- The Himachal Pradesh became the fourth state after Assam, Bihar and Jharkhand to ratify the bill.
– Gujarat, Chhattisgarh assemblies to hold special sessions tomorrow to ratify GST Bill
- Special session of Gujarat and Chhattisgarh Assemblies will be convened from tomorrow to ratify the Constitution Amendment Bill on Goods and Services Tax.
- In Gujarat, a two-day special session of the Assembly also begins tomorrow to ratify the GST Bill. AIR correspondent reports the Bill will be introduced on Tuesday and the discussion and voting, if necessary, will take place the same day.
- According to sources, the constitution amendment bill on Goods and Service Tax will be tabled in the house on the first day while discussion and voting if necessary will be take place on the second day.
- Apart from ratification of GST bill, the elections of Speaker and Deputy Speaker will also be held on the first day of the session.
– Vijay Goel Flags off Tiranga Yaatra in Delhi
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel today Flagged off TirangaYaatra of Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan – NYKS volunteers at Red Fort in New Delhi to mark 70th anniversary of India’s independence. Cricketer VirendraSehwag and fashion designer RituBeri was also present in the yatra.
- Hundreds of Youth from all parts of Delhi assembled to show pride in nation’s rich cultural heritage. Over 2500 Youth volunteers of NYKS, NSS and Bharat Scouts and Guides participated in the yatra. NYKS has so far organised 93 TirangaYaatras all over the county with participation of more than seventy thousand youth.
— INTERNATIONAL —
– PM Modi, President Ashraf Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace in Kabul
- Prime Minister NarendraModi and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Monday jointly inaugurated the renovated Stor Palace in Kabul through video conferencing.
- During the video conference, Prime Minister Modi assured that India’s 1.25 billion citizens would always be on Afghanistan’s side in its quest to establish regional peace, security and stability.
- Prime Minister Modi said that India and Afghanistan have always been close friends, and added that the restored Stor Palace is reminder of the glory of Afghanistan’s rich traditions, and also a reminder to all those who can’t see beyond shadow of violence.
– New Nepal PM to visit India next month
- Nepal’s new Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ will embark on a three-day official visit to India on September 15.
- Official sources in Kathmandu said, this will be Prachanda’s first foreign visit after assuming office earlier this month.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister BimalendraNidhi, who was on a visit to India as Prachanda’s special envoy, had discussed with Indian officials regarding the visit, according to Indian embassy sources in Kathmandu.
— BANKING —
– SBI merger with associates, BMB exempt from CCI approval
- State Bank of India (SBI) will not need fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI)’s approval for merging 5 associates and BhartiyaMahila Bank (BMB) with itself, a move that will create a global sized bank with an asset base of Rs. 30 lakh crore.
- The acquisition is exempt from the approval of CCI under the Competition Act 2002, sources said.
- As per the amendment to the Competition Act, consolidation in the banking sector space is exempt from the approval of CCI, sources added.
- Last week, the board of SBI approved scheme of merger of five associate lenders State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur (SBBJ), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Travancore (SBT) and BharatiyaMahila Bank (BMB) with itself while protecting the interest of the existing staff.
— BUSINESS AND ECONOMY —
– Indian Railways partners with Google to showcase heritage assets
- Google has agreed to partner with Railways for digitising and showcasing its heritage on digital platforms.
- Under this arrangement, Google will digitise Railway’s heritage assets and help create a digital repository for universal online access free of cost.
- Indian Railway has a vast amount of heritage assets, including bridges, steam locos, buildings, artefacts and museums which can be showcased for global audience.
- An agreement in this regard will be signed soon between National Rail Museum (NRM) and Google Cultural Institute (GCI).
- GCI is a non-profit organisation that partners with cultural organisations to bring world’s cultural heritage online. GCI builds online tools and offers them to institutions for showcasing and sharing cultural assets.
– NLC Ltd to add 6,820 Mw of power at cost of Rs 27,740 crore
- Navaratnacompany NLC Ltd, which comes under the Ministry of Coal, is planning to add over 6,821 megawatt (Mw) of power, with an investment of over Rs 27,740 crore in these projects.
- NLC Ltd, earlier known as Neyveli Lignite Corporation, is presently operating four thermal power stations at Neyveli, Tamil Nadu, and one thermal power station at Barsingsar, Rajasthan, with a total installed capacity of 3,240 Mw. During the year, two units of TPS-II Expansion (2×250 Mw) achieved commercial operation.
— APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGN—
– Amul MD Sodhi appointed on board of India Post Payment Banks
- Amul Managing Director R S Sodhi has been appointed as independent director on the board of India Post Payment Banks (IPPB) — the payments bank arm of postal department.
- Sodhi is one of the five independent members to be appointed on the board.
- IPPB is set to be operational in March 2017.
- The board will have four in-house representatives.
- IPPB received certificate of incorporation from the Registrar of Companies on August 17.
- Payments bank allows mobile firms, supermarket chains, and others to cater to banking requirements of individuals and small businesses.
– Deepika Padukone is now the face of Vistara
- Vistara, which is a joint venture between Tata Sons Ltd and Singapore Airlines, has announced DeepikaPadukone as its brand ambassador.
- Vistara is all set to launch its new multimedia campaign on August 22, with Deepika as the face of the brand.
- Deepika has already shot for the television commercial for three days and the airline has given some glimpses of the campaign with the hashtag #WhichStar on social media platforms.
– VP Singh Badnore takes oath as new Punjab Governor
- Mr.VP Singh Badnore took oath as the new Punjab Governor and also as Administrator of Chandigarh today. Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice SJ Vazifdar administered the oath of office and secrecy to Badnore at Punjab Raj BhawanChandigarh .
- Badnore, who belongs to Bhilwara in Rajasthan, was a four-time BJP legislator in the Rajasthan Assembly. He was a member of the 13th and 14th LokSabha from 1999-2004 and from 2004-09. In July 2010, he was elected to the RajyaSabha.
— AWARDS AND HONOURS —
– Kamal Haasan to get prestigious French honour
- Actor Kamal Haasan will be awarded the Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts etLettres (The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) by the French government. The Order is part of France’s premier award, the Legion of Honor.
- The order of merit is awarded “to recognize eminent artists and writers, as well as people who have contributed significantly to furthering the arts in France and throughout the world.”
– National Sports Awards announced
- Olympic Medalists P V Sindhu and Sakshi Malik will get Rajiv Gandhi KhelRatna Awards. Shooter JituRai and Gymnast DipaKarmakar have also been selected for the top national sports award.
- Rajiv Gandhi KhelRatna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- Six sports coaches will be honoured with Dronacharya Awards. They are Nagapuri Ramesh for Athletics, Sagar Mal Dhayal for Boxing, and Raj Kumar Sharma, Cricket.
- DipaKarmakar’s coach Bishweshwar Nandi will receive the award for Gymnastics. The Dronacharya Award for Lifetime contribution will be given to S. Pradeep Kumar for Swimming and Mahabir Singh for Wrestling.
- Apart from this, 15 sports persons have been chosen for Arjuna Awards. They include Olympian Lalita Babar, cricketer AjinkyaRahane, boxer Shiva Thapa, and wrestler VineshPhogat.
- Athlete SattiGeetha, hockey player Sylvanus Dung Dung and Rower RajendraPralhadShelke will be conferred with Dhyanchand Award.
– Olympic Order for IOA chief Ramachandran
- The International Olympic Committee has awarded the Olympic Order to Indian Olympic Association president N. Ramachandran for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
- The Olympic Order is the highest award of the Olympic Movement and is awarded for particularly distinguished contributions to the Olympic Movement, that is, recognition of efforts worthy of merit in the cause of sport. It was established in May 1975.
— SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY —
– Scientists develop new laser from jellyfish proteins
- Scientists have, for the first time, developed laser from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria.
- These lasers have the potential to be far more efficient and compact than conventional ones and could open up research avenues in quantum physics and optical computing, researchers said.
- To develop the fluorescent Polariton laser, scientists had engineered barrel-shaped fluorescent proteins from jellyfish DNA.
- They had filled optical microcavities (between two mirrors) with this protein before subjecting them to optical pumping.
- Nanosecond flashes of blue light from an external laser were used to bring the system up to the required energy to create laser light.
- After the threshold was reached for polariton lasing, scientists pumped more energy into the device setup that resulted in conventional lasing.
— SPORTS —
– Sakshi Malik to be Indian flagbearer at closing ceremony at Rio
- Wrestler Sakshi Malik, who won India’s first medal in the Rio Olympics, will be the country’s flag bearer at the Summer Games Closing Ceremony.
- Sakshi, had become the first woman wrestler in India to win an Olympic medal with her bronze in the 58kg freestyle.
- India’s only other medallist PV Sindhu, who bagged silver in women’s singles badminton, left for Hyderabad.
- N Ramachandran, president of the Indian Olympic Association, came to the Olympic Village and wished the two medallists and their coaches.
– Rio Olympics Comes to a Colourful End
- President of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach declared the official closing of the 31st Olympics games 2016 at Rio.
- The next Olympics is to be hosted by Tokyo.
- For India, the first female wrestling medalist, Sakshi Malik carried the Flag into the stadium.
- India finished its Rio Olympics campaign with a Silver won by shuttler PV Sindhu& a Bronze medal bagged by Sakshi Malik.
– SaniaMirza moves alone at top of WTA doubles rankings
- India’s SaniaMirza took sole possession of the WTA doubles number one ranking after teaming up with BarboraStrycova to beat former partner Martina Hingis and Coco Vandeweghe 7-5, 6-4 in Cincinnati final.
- The 29-year-old will move alone to the top of the rankings, after her and Swiss Hingis ended their highly successful partnership last month as joint number ones.
- The dominant pairing claimed 14 titles, including three Grand Slams.
Current Affairs Update
To Get PDF Version
— Click Here —